Covid-19 Travel Insurance Benefits
Are you looking for travel insurance with coverage for Covid-19 related events? Our Standard and Top policies provide you with several travel insurance benefits related to Covid-19. Our Covid-19 travel insurance will give you additional coverage whenever you are ready to explore the world again.
Always visit Smart Traveller to understand if your destination is marked as safe to travel. If your destination is marked as a “do not travel” on SmartTraveller website, travel insurance coverage is not available. The below content is a summary only, always check the PDS for full details and Target Market Determination to understand if our policies are right for you.
For more information, check the FAQ’s below or visit our help centre here
Our One-Trip Trip Overseas policies can cover you for the following benefits, in case your trip is impacted by Covid-19:
- Overseas medical expenses (Unlimited Coverage in our Standard and Top policies, not included in our Basic and Budget Policies): We will pay for the necessary and reasonable medical costs incurred outside of Australia as a result of you being medically diagnosed with COVID-19. This includes emergency medical, surgical, hospital, ambulance and repatriation costs where necessary.
- Cancellation or trip disruption due to Covid-19 ($2,500 maximum coverage in our Standard and Top Policies, not included in our Basic and Budget Policies): We will provide cover under this section if the cancellation or amendment of your trip is necessary and unavoidable as a result of you being medically diagnosed with COVID-19 after you purchase the policy.
We will pay up to the amount shown in the Table of benefits for:
- travel and accommodation expenses and pre-paid meal expenses which you have paid or have agreed to pay under a contract and which you cannot recover from any sources.
- the cost of excursions, tours and activities which you have paid for and which you cannot recover from any sources.
- your additional reasonable and necessary travel expenses, incurred after departure, that are over and above what you had originally budgeted to pay, where you need to catch-up to your original schedule.
Our domestic policies also provide benefits for Covid-19 related events. Medical expenses in Australia are covered by Medicare or Private Health Insurance, so there are no medical benefits related to Covid-19 in our domestic policies. However, we provide coverage for the Cancellation or amendment of your trip if your travel plans are impacted by Covid-19.
- Cancellation or trip disruption due to Covid-19 ($2,500 maximum coverage in our Standard and Top Policies, not included in our Basic Policies): We will provide cover under this section if the cancellation or amendment of your trip is necessary and unavoidable as a result of you being medically diagnosed with COVID-19 after you purchase the policy and you are unfit to travel.
Most Common Questions
Am I covered if I get Covid-19 Overseas?
Our Standard and Top policies provide unlimited coverage for necessary and emergency medical expenses incurred overseas if you are diagnosed with Covid-19.
Am I covered for Cancellation if there is a border closure?
Unfortunately our policies exclude any claims arising from border closures, or any other claims relating to any government travel bans, “Do not travel” warnings; or mandatory quarantine or self-isolation requirements related to cross border, region or territory travel.
Can I claim for cancellation if a family member or travelling companion gets Covid-19?
Unfortunately our policies exclude any claims arising from or related to any other person being diagnosed with Covid-19.
Can I claim for cancellation if I get diagnosed with Covid-19 before going away?
Yes, our Standard and Top policies provide coverage if it is necessary and unavoidable for you to cancel your trip if you are diagnosed with Covid-19 after purchasing your policy.
Am I covered for quarantine or travel delay if I get Covid-19 while overseas?
Our Standard and Top policies provide coverage for your reasonable additional travel and accommodation expenses if you are unexpectedly forced into quarantine whilst overseas as a result of being diagnosed with Covid-19. We cannot provide cover if you are forced into quarantine for any other reason other than you being diagnosed with Covid-19.
What should I do if I get diagnosed with Covid-19 while travelling?
If you are diagnosed with Covid-19 while travelling, please contact us on +61293333963 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our teams will guide you through the process on what to do and how to submit your claim.